|Suitable for||Professional tax advisers to internationally mobile employees and their employers|
|Price||£95 (or see Bundles page)|
Advising British Expats
The 2021-22 edition is now being edited and will be published in mid October. The emphasis has switched so that there is now a greater focus on tax compliance and planning, with reduced coverage of those financial planning angles on which accountants are less likely to advise.
Many UK individuals choose to live and work overseas for a period of months or years. The decision to do so invariably has important tax compliance and planning implications. In this extensive volume, the author, herself a British expat, guides the professional adviser through all stages, from preparing to travel, to arriving in the overseas country, looking after local tax matters, avoiding problems with HMRC, and eventual return to the UK.
The 2021-22 edition has been thoroughly updated, including the following:
- domicile chapter re-vamped and expanded
- Covid-19 issues included throughout as appropriate
- new social security rules for employees in EU post-Brexit
- new SDLT surcharge for non-residents
- content re-structured, now with separate chapters for UK tax implications for expats, typical sources of income, particular occupations (entertainers etc., and professors, teachers and students)
- all figures and examples reviewed and updated as necessary
Juliet Connolly BA (Hons) ACA CTA left her Big 4 role in 2002 to set up her own business, UK Expat, advising and assisting expatriates all over the world on their UK tax affairs. Read more here.
The extracts and contents provided as links immediately below are currently those for the 2020-21 edition but will be updated around two weeks before publication. See bottom of page for overview content of new edition.
- Income tax and the Expat
- Income tax – typical UK sources of income for non-residents
- Particular occupations
- CGT and the expat
- NIC and social security
- Other matters (IHT, foreign taxes, self-assessment compliance)
- Back in the UK
- Tables of legislation, cases, etc.